Friday, April 16, 2010

Apple Blossoms



I ran out this morning, during a light rain, to gather these lovely blossom-covered boughs. Apple blossoms have always been very dear to me. They bring back so many memories from my childhood.


My dad built me a tree house when I was about four, in an old crab apple tree out behind our home. It had two levels -though I liked to pretend that a little seat he later added above the second level was actually a third floor. It's blossoms always smelled so sweet. I loved to pick them!


Years later, when I had grown a bit big for the tree house, an old apple tree down by the pond became my favorite place to spend time alone. It had the perfect obliging branch for swinging up onto its slanted trunk. Sometimes I'd be perched in it with a book, and other times just with my thoughts. It is gone now, as is the crab apple tree..........I do really miss them sometimes! It's funny, but you really can make such friends with a tree.


My dearest memory, though, is of a Sunday during Spring when I was probably about four or five. I had been sick, so I had to stay home from Mass with mom. When dad came home, he picked me up from the couch and carried me outside to the apple trees. They were all white with blossoms. He lifted me up to let me smell them, and then gently stripping a blossom from one of the branches, tucked it behind my ear. Then he carried me back home. It is a memory I will always treasure.


~So, I made Miss Posy a little bouquet this morning.



She was so excited, and immediately set it in the center of her little table.



I think we are making some new apple blossom memories to add to the old......;)










1 comment:

Cmerie said...

Thank you for sharing your memories. They are so sweet and contain the wonders of childhood.