Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Springtime Delicacy

Yes, the hunt for morel mushrooms is on! Mom discovered these two yesterday, after hearing that one of my Dad's friends found THREE-HUNDRED!!!!!! Just thinking about it makes my mouth water....... I'd love to know where he does his hunting, but I am sure it is a carefully guarded secret. All mushroom hunters take this sort of thing very seriously...



Well, anyways, we sliced up these two beauties and sauteed them in butter........mmmmm! The kids got to try their very first bite, and liked it very much. Now if we could just find a few more.......

2 comments:

Cmerie said...

I have never seen anything quite like that before! I'm not much of a mushroom fan, but I am curious now.

Kate said...

Oh, they are sooooo good, Cmerie! We've been enjoying these ever since I was a kid. Some years we have better luck finding them than others. As always, though, when hunting for wild mushrooms, you want to be sure you know which are the good mushrooms, and which are the poisonous ones. Morels are pretty easy to distinguish.....the same with puff balls, which we hunt for in the fall. It really is a lot of fun, with very tasty results, if you are lucky;) Here is a link to a site where you can learn more about morels, if you are interested:

http://thegreatmorel.com/