Thursday, October 7, 2010

Caterpillars to Cocoons







Amazing! Mom found these in her garden and brought them down for the children's and my viewing pleasure. In the picture you can see how one of the caterpillars climbed up a twig and attached himself with a bit of silk. (Under him is the chrysalis of another just like him.) After hanging like that for a few days, he split his skin and crawled out; a strange, green, worm-like creature. It was fascinating to watch! He re-attached himself to the branch, a bit above where he was hanging before, and slowly started turning brown all over. You can see how he looks now, as a chrysalis, in the picture below.






Once again, the days have just been flying by. Dear Husband has been gone for three days in San Diego for a business trip. He gets in tonight, and I can't wait to see him!

2 comments:

sweetgum12 said...

Hi cousin kate! Oooooooo what kind of caterpillars are these?? We housed some monarchs this summer but nothing else- I discovered a sphinx moth chrysalis in the garden but it kind of creeped me out so I let it alone! These almost look like swallowtails to me but I don't know for sure? I guess if they last all winter maybe we wont' know until spring!
Are you getting excited to move into your home? How VERY fun!!! :)

Kate said...

Hey Sweetgum!

We think they may be swallowtails as well, but won't know for sure 'til spring, I guess.....if they make it! And I don't blame you for leaving the sphinx moth chrysalis alone.....some are just downright creepy!

We are getting really excited about our "new" home! ;) I was just over there today with the husband getting a spot ready for the bulbs I bought. We got permission to plant them even though we haven't closed yet. Looks like we should be able to close by the second week of November....the first week, if we are lucky! Anyways, I forgot my camera!!!! Next time I am over I want to at least get some good outside shots of the place to post here for your viewing pleasure. I am planning to go over sometime this week to get the bulbs all in the ground, so I should have some pictures up soon!

Love to you and yours!
Kate