Saturday, September 24, 2011

More Hidden Treasures......

.....in the wall by the attic stairs:

An old leather pair of men's shoes;





                                                            An old wooden spindle;





And, my favorite, a beautiful glass basket,
that looks like it will be in perfect condition, once all the grime is removed!


We also found a very old shoe box with detailed instructions on the proper care of leather shoes printed on the inside.( I'm thinking of framing it, and hanging it in my mudroom;)
Handy bits of advice like;
"When shoes are wet or damp they should be dried slowly, away from the fire, as it takes only a short time to burn leather if it is exposed to undue heat when wet or even damp." 
Too neat!

Much of the attic wall remains unexplored, and I told my Knight that before it is sealed off in drywall forever, I think we really should see what else is hidden away.....
Don't you agree?
Who knows what other "treasures" we may discover.
If we don't, I know I'll always wonder!

3 comments:

Cynthia Berenger said...

What fun! I hope that everyone is feeling better, and I agree that the basket is a treasure!

Agape always,
Cynthia

Kate said...

Thank you Cynthia! The kids are doing better, though there are still a few residual drippy noses.... I haven't gotten a chance to clean up the basket yet ~it is waiting beside my kitchen sink~ but I can hardly wait to do so. It is so beautiful! I wonder how many years it has spent inside the wall.....and was it a gift given to a much loved wife or mother? How I wish I knew its story!

~Kate

Cmerie said...

So cool! The stories that house could tell, and soon it will be alive with more. :)