Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Homemade Hamburger Buns


I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be using my favorite homemade pizza crust recipe to make  absolutely delicious hamburger (and hot dog) buns.....
.....but then a few weeks back, I discovered that the bag of hot dog buns I had in the freezer, was in fact a mere figment of my imagination. Dinner was less than two hours away, and I did not feel like a trip to the grocery store......or like changing my dinner plans either.
Hmmm.
Suddenly I thought of my pizza crust recipe, and how the texture was just right for hot dog buns ~soft, and a little chewy. I went to work, and an hour and a half(ish) later I was pulling the golden brown beauties out of the oven and brushing them with melted butter.
And they were a GIGANTIC hit! Everyone loved them! My pickiest eater (who will remain nameless;) informed me seriously,
"Mom, these are my favorite. They taste so much better than store-bought."
I was blown away.
I tried the recipe again as hamburger buns the following weekend, and once again, rave reviews.


So, for those who may be interested in giving homemade hamburger (or hot dog) buns a try, here follows my favorite pizza crust recipe (Confusing, isn't it?;):

1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 cup of warm water (105-115 F.)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups of flour
(~I use 2 cups of white and 1/2 cup of whole wheat)

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic. Return dough to the bowl, coating with a  little olive oil, and allow it to rise in a warm location for about 35~45 minutes.* Punch down dough, and shape into buns ( should make eight hot dog buns, and six hamburger buns). Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 425 F., for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from oven, brush tops lightly with melted butter, and enjoy!


*In the original recipe for the pizza crust, you are instructed to shape immediately after kneading, without allowing the dough to rise. This works well, especially when you happen to be short on time (~your pizza can be ready in a little under thirty minutes!). However, I discovered (on accident;) that if you allow the dough to rise for anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour, the overall texture is much lighter and the crust a bit chewier.
My preference, decidedly. ;)  



No comments: