Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Soup, Salad, and Corn Bread



Tonight I made a creamy potato soup, with sausage and mushrooms. I boiled about a dozen potatoes in a large pot of water, and then pureed them (and enough of the cooking water) in the blender until they had reached the velvety~smooth consistency that I desired. While they were getting pureed, I slowly cooked a finely diced onion, and three cloves of minced garlic in butter. Then I poured in the pureed potatoes, sliced sausage, and diced fresh mushrooms.It simmered gently for about twenty minutes before I added salt and pepper to taste, and about one cup of  crème fraîche (which is a combination of two parts heavy cream to one part sour cream that is left to thicken at room temperature for five to six hours)
And then we ate it!
Mmmm!



And my Knight's favorite salad, which was his mother's creation.
It is dressed with just the right combination of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper,Italian herbs, and garlic and onion powders. 
It felt so amazing when I finally mastered it!



The corn bread was left-over from last night....
....but, it was still excessively tasty!


2 comments:

José Manuel Guerrero C. said...

Olive oil (extra virgin) Spanish is the best oil in the world. Better than the Italian and Greek. ;-)

Kate said...

Extra virgin olive oil is the best! It is one of the main ingredients in all of my salads. But Italian olive oil will always have precedence in our house.....you see, Bate, my husband's grandmother is Italian! I will have to try Spanish olive oil sometime though ~especially since it is "the best oil in the world." ;)

~Kate